The Juan de Fuca Community Trails Society (JdF CTS) is a coalition of hikers, cyclists and equestrians in the District of Sooke and the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area working to:
Map of Juan de Fuca Electoral Area
We were founded in response to continuing loss of trails and accessible green space. As land use changes in the District of Sooke and the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area, we can no longer take access to open space and forest land for granted.
- promote and create a legacy of community trails for walkers, cyclists and equestrians in the Juan de Fuca area.
- encourage appreciation and respect for our natural features and environment through community trails opportunities.
- educate and provide information to our members and other interested parties about the natural environment and sustainable trails.
- promote best practices for stewardship of trails and parks in co-operation with government authorities, like-minded societies, and land owners.
- advocate for connecting trail destinations and parks via greenways.
- facilitate the planning of trail systems into future development in our region.
Based on input freom various community organizations, we've put together a list of Specific Community Objectives for trails, parks and green space. It is updated annually.
The Juan de Fuca Community Trails Society is organized with an executive, a steering committee and a general membership.
The general membership is always welcome to attend executive meetings. The executives are:
The Steering Committee consists of members willing to lead various committees but without the official responsibility of a director. They are appointed by the executive. If you are interested in joining the Steering Committee, please let the executive know and we will consider an appointment.
- Sid J. Jorna: President
- Howard Taylor: Vice President
- Ken Moore: General Secretary
- Paul Schoemaker: Treasurer
- Joyce MacKinnon: Director Equestrian
- Terry Cristall: Director Biking
- Rosemary Jorna: Director Hiking
- Mark Ziegler: Director
Membership in the Society is from year to year. Dues for the upcoming year are payable 1 Oct and are due 31 December. Members have until 31 March to remain on the roll. Dues are $10.00 per year per person. More information is available here.
We have four general meetings a year one of which is our Annual General Meeting (AGM). The AGM is required by law to remain registered as a Society. The executive is elected at the AGM, the finances of the society are put forward at this meeting.
For more information, please contact:
Rosemary or Sid Jorna
Please send mail to:
2452 Kemp Lake Road
Sooke, BC V9Z 0R3